Networks of AI Centres of Excellence (NoEs) and Digital Innovation Hubs (E/DIHs): Collaboration Models and Benefits
One of the objectives of the VISION Project is to bridge the gap between Europe’s AI research and industry, by reinforcing synergies between Academia and industrial stakeholders. Among these stakeholders, (European) Digital Innovation Hubs – (E)DIHs – are one of the building blocks of the European ecosystem of excellence in AI.
Collaboration can happen by
- Spin-offs / Start-ups growth using the service offered by a DIH
- Sharing facilities (hardware,software, labs) to a DIH or to organisations connected to a DIH
Exchanging research and related outputs
- Shared R&D projects with a DIH
- Joint development of AI-related patents with any organisation part of/connected to a DIH
- License or sale of AI-related patents to organisations connected to a DIH
- Co-creation of scientific AI-related papers with organisations part of/ connected to a DIH
- Showcasing AI-related research outputs at events organised by the DIH
- Increasing the TRL of AI-related research outputs with a DIH
Fostering Personnel Mobility
- Researchers collaborating with enterprises (clients of a DIH) on a temporary, multi annual basis or permanent level
- Offering personnel to a DIH for providing its services (e.g. for training purposes)
Benefits of Collaboration
- Smoothen the transfer from experimental results to reliable tools
- Better address market needs and identify the potential of the research results
- Disseminate standards and new regulation
- Provide a useful testbed
- Provide Academia with links to the business world
HOW TO GET IN TOUCH WITH (E)DIHs
AI CoEs can
- Provide info on the opportunities for application of technologies
- Transform research outputs into innovative products to reach the market
- Enhance collaboration and community building among AI CoEs and (E)DIHs to better connect research and business
HOW TO GET IN TOUCH WITH AI NoEs
(European) Digital Innovation Hubs act as “one-stop-shops” to help companies become more competitive regarding their business/production processes, products or services using digital technologies, by providing access to technical expertise and experimentation that are needed for a successful digital transformation.
In doing so, they provide their services according to the following categories:
- Test before Invest
- Skills & Training
- Support to find Investments
- Innovation Ecosystem & Networking.
Collaboration between Networks of AI Excellence Centres and (E)DIHs can happen in several ways. For example, by
- Sharing facilities (e.g., from laboratories and test centres to computer software)
- Exchanging research and related outputs (e.g., showcasing research outputs)
- Fostering personnel mobility (e.g., placement opportunities).
(E)DIHs and AI Excellence Centres can also work together on skills and training, data sharing, AI regulation and standards, and exchange of information on funding and collaborative programs!
What is an (E)DIH?
(European) Digital Innovation Hubs are single entities or a coordinated group of entities that help companies to become more competitive with regard to their business/production processes, products or services using digital technologies, by providing access to technical expertise and experimentation that are needed for a successful digital transformation. Coming from different contexts (e.g., university spinoffs, incubators, consortia of companies etc.), they provide their services according to four categories listed below.
DTA & EDIHs
Recently, over 100 DIHs became part of the EDIHs network, financed by the Digital Europe Program. The EDIH network will be supported by the Digital Transformation Accelerator (DTA), which, together with the Commission, will provide opportunities for interaction and collaboration between EDIHs, SMEs and the public sector. EDIHs will: •offer support for digital transformation adapted to local needs, based on a specialization •build regional ecosystems of users and suppliers, strengthening local innovation environment connect to the whole of Europe through the network
What is an AI Centre of Excellence?
AI CoE is a research centre with a strong expertise in AI or an organisation active in AI research and innovation, which has a dedicated R&D department or research team with expertise in AI.
What is a Network of AI Centres of Excellence?
NoEs bring together the best research teams in Europe to tackle major scientific and technological challenges hampering the deployment of AI-based solutions. These networks were created by the EC through Horizon2020, starting with a focus on media and fake news – AI4media, machine learning – elise, human centric AI – HumanE AI Net, and trustworthy AI – TAILOR. Other NoEs are yet to come!
More information on (E)DIHs
The VISION project brings together the European networks of AI excellence centres(NoEs) and other stakeholders to create a world-class artificial intelligence (AI) ecosystem. To ensure Europe stays at the forefront of AI developments, the project builds on Europe’s world-class community of researchers with the aim to reinforce, interconnect and mobilise Europe’s AI community, and to accelerate Europe’s transition to a world-leading position in the research, development and deployment of AI technologies. One of the objectives of the Project is also to bridge the gap between Europe’s AI research and industry, by reinforcing synergies between Academia and industrial stakeholders, e.g., Digital Innovation Hubs (DIHs).